Job Title: Communications Manager, Communications & Community Engagement
Position Type: Full-time, Salaried/Benefits
Artspace’s mission is to create, foster, and preserve affordable and sustainable space for artists and arts organization.
We have worked with more than 300 communities to plan for and in some cases implement place-based strategies that integrate the arts with complementary public agendas, including economic and community development, historic and cultural preservation, transit-oriented development, and social justice. From these experiences, we have developed a sustainable, equitable model of arts-driven change that has helped inform and influence the growing international movement of creative placemaking.
Artspace currently has a portfolio of 50+ projects providing affordable housing to over 2,000 artists and their families, and affordable space for more than 650 artist studios, small businesses, and creative enterprises across the country. Artspace also owns and operates two unique commercial venues in Minneapolis that require communications and marketing support from our main office: The Cowles Center for Dance and the Performing Arts, and the Northrup King Building (NKB).
Job Title: Communications Manager
Reports To: Vice President, Communications & Community Engagement
Classification: Full-time, Salaried/Benefits. This position is hybrid due to COVID-19. Applicants can expect to work remote and at our Minneapolis office.
Compensation & Benefits
• Salary: Annual salary range between $48,000—$56,000
• Benefits: Medical and Dental care, 403(b) Savings Plan (employer match after one year), Health Savings Account (HSA), Paid Time Off (PTO), and more
• A fun and engaging work environment!
Artspace provides equal employment opportunities for all persons regardless of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or status with regard to public assistance, disability, sex, or age.
PR & Earned Media
• Lead PR (press and earned media) initiatives at The Cowles Center
• Support Vice President, Communications and Community Engagement in PR initiatives at Artspace as needed
• Manage media monitoring software to aggregate Artspace media mentions and identify journalists to provide with press releases
Copy writing and copyediting (Artspace / Cowles / NKB)
• Support all team members throughout Artspace, Cowles, and NKB through copywriting and copy editing for various tasks
• Support Vice President, Communications and Community Engagement in developing, revising, and pursuing long-range communications/marketing strategies
• Revise institutional communications and marketing materials, as directed, to suit growth and evolution of external brand messaging
Digital marketing and social media planning and execution
• Digital newsletter generation for the Cowles (weekly) and NKB (monthly and bi-monthly) and Artspace (monthly)
• Manage and promote the Artspace brand via Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn
• Oversee ads purchased on social media for Artspace
• Propose creative strategies in collaboration with the Vice President of Communications, and relevant department and project partners
• Communicate Artspace news, events, programs, and leasing opportunities on the appropriate social media platform, in a timely manner
• Website management for the Northrup King Building Website, as well as secondary support for the Cowles and Artspace website
Marketing Materials Direction & Production (Artspace / Cowles)
• Serve as project lead on the planning and implementation of Cowles program wraps, inserts, and brochures (gather content and edits for all departments)
• Coordinate with communications team and external project partners to ensure appropriate all marketing materials meet requirements as outlined by project funding and partnerships
• Manage design needs with internal and external designers for projects such as lease-up campaigns, Cowles season announcement and marketing, and others within budget
• Provide copy to designers ahead of design timeline, and provide additional copyediting as needed throughout the editing process
• When working with external designers, deliver design proofs to relevant team members for review
• Manage print & mailing production
• Serve as project coordinator for the Artspace Annual Report Production
Website management (Artspace / Cowles / NKB)
• Manage and/or support website initiatives, including copyediting, page creation, managing uploads, and other maintenance tasks
Event Support (Artspace / Cowles / NKB)
• Provide email support through Mailchimp, as needed, for organizational events
• Oversee event marketing and program copy with event partners
• (Artspace only) Capture Day-of event happenings through Artspace’s social media
• Provide on-the-ground support during the event
Program Support (Artspace)
• Create social media campaigns to promote participation in and general awareness of Artspace’s various programs, including Artspace Immersion and the Rafala Green Fellowship.
• Support program teams & leaders in ensuring Artspace’s website and related webpages are aligned with program needs
• Copyedit and/or oversee program material production, as needed
• Experience using Adobe Creative Cloud (Acrobat, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word)
• Experience using email marketing platforms (Mailchimp, Constant Contact)
• Experience with CMS web platforms (Squarespace, Drupal, Webflow)
• Past experience with PR, knowledge of Twin Cities-based arts writers a plus
• Strong attention to detail
• Strong project management skills and copyediting skills
• Exceptional interpersonal communications skills
• Ability to plan and organize work and manage multiple and sometimes conflicting priorities
• Ability to identify, evaluate, investigate, and offer alternative solutions to problems
• 2+ years of previous experience communications, digital marketing, or related field a plus
• Experience working for a nonprofit, event planning skills and photography skills a plus
The health and safety of visitors and staff at Artspace are the most important priority as we reopen our facilities and maintain our operations. Artspace has adopted a policy of mandatory vaccination to safeguard the health of our staff from the hazard of COVID-19, while also combating the spread to employees’ family members, guests, business partners, and the communities in which Artspace engages. When working on-site, we require masks in common areas and to maintain physical distancing.
How to Apply
This position is considered open until filled and Artspace will consider candidates on a rolling basis. Please submit your resume and cover letter via email or mail to:
Email subject line: Artspace Communications Manager