18MR connects the power of Asian America to digital first organizing. Using technology and popular culture, they develop new ways for Asian Americans and their allies to collaborate, create new ways of being, and transform the world around us. They utilize digital-first advocacy tactics to elevate the voices of and mobilize their over 175,000 members to take action on issues that matter to them. They create meeting places online where young Asian Americans can deliberate together about what it means to be Asian American in the 21st century. They are using this Asian American identity as the foundation to build a more just and creative world where their experiences are affirmed, their leadership is valued, and all of them have the opportunity to thrive.
Read more about 18MR here.
COMMUNICATION DESIGNER SUMMARY
18 Million Rising is looking for a Communication Designer to join their team!
The Communication Designer will collaborate with the 18MR team to create graphics for social media content, campaign emails, website assets, and additional internal and external materials. As a member of the team, they contribute to planning, building, and executing beautiful, compelling, and effective campaigns and experiences for 18MR members to learn about and take meaningful collective action on the issues that matter to them.
Ideal candidates have experience in organizing or social justice work with a background in graphic design, visual / digital arts, and/or strategic communications. 18MR team members have a healthy curiosity and capacity to engage with people from across various social movement sectors.
The Communication Designer will be supervised by the Strategy & Creative Director and collaborate closely with their Social Media Manager and Organizing team.
- Follow 18MR brand guide to format graphics for social media content, campaign emails, website assets, presentations, and additional internal / external materials.
- Collaborate with Strategy and Creative Director to create moodboards, image curation, etc.
- Integrate contemporary and/or audience-specific design trends into design work
- Stays connected to UX development and design trends, and incorporates best practice into projects
- Maintain project workflow processes to ensure on-time delivery of designs
- Prioritize usability, findability, legibility, and accessibility in digital designs
- Strategically use visual hierarchy and information architecture for different platforms
- Provide technical design support in bringing campaigns to life and day-to-day campaigns and projects.
- Partner with Organizing team to understand campaign goals
- Attend brainstorm sessions and communication/design meetings.
- Work with Community Manager and Strategy & Creative Director to create design proposals and briefs
- Manage the organization (storage and security) of all design assets and project outputs
REQUIRED SKILLS AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- 3-4 years of graphic design, motion graphic, video editing skills, and/or creative experience.
- Proficiency with key software tools to create assets: Adobe Creative Suite Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign and Premiere
- Oversee production process through final delivery for digital channels
- Understanding of designing for digital contexts (technologies, platform structures, digital media, and behaviors) and use strategic insights from concept to completion.
- Broad knowledge of emerging cultural trends and technology influenced behaviors.
- Confidence advocating for ideas or projects on a collaborative team.
- Ability to self-direct, but also adapt to changing conditions with graciousness and good humor.
- Training in strategic visual messaging, content concepts, information hierarchy and planning
- Confidence working with a diverse team and the capacity to approach conflict with compassion
- Exceptional visual, written, and verbal communication skills.
- An understanding of Asian American social movements historically and in the current moment.
- Independent worker with initiative and the ability to work remotely.
- Self-motivated, high attention to detail and the ability to deliver high quality work.
NICE-TO-HAVE SKILLS AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Multi-disciplinary design portfolio
- Familiarity with working on a remote team and building relationships with teammates and external partners in a virtual setting.
- Passion for clear and emotionally-resonant storytelling
- Be concept-minded with interest of experience in design strategy
- Platform-curious. You’re the first to grab your @ on the newest platform
- Adaptability in a changing digital landscape
- Video and/or motion graphics skills
- Working knowledge or experience with technical workflows (GitHub, Bitbucket, etc.).
- Ability to see beyond the surface and understand the “why”
- Fluency in one or more Asian (including East, Southeast, and South Asian) languages.
- An understanding of Asian American movements historically and in the current moment.
- An understanding of how different ethnic, language, and racial sub-segments of the Asian American community use different digital tools.
- Familiarity with abolitionist frameworks.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. The 18MR team works a four-day work week, although hours can be flexible based on the demands of current events and the campaign cycle. The salary range for this position is between $65,000 and $75,000 annually, commensurate with experience and your local cost of living. 18MR offers cost-of-living and merit raises at the beginning of every calendar year.
As they are a distributed team, your primary residence may be located anywhere in the United States. 18MR’s current staff are based in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and the San Francisco Bay Area. Occasional organization-sponsored travel for conferences and face-to-face staff gatherings will be required.
Through their fiscal sponsor, Allied Media Projects, they offer a competitive benefits package including generous vacation; full health, dental, vision and flex benefits; 403b program with employer match; short and long term disability; provided life insurance with the option for additional coverage; ongoing training opportunities; and allowances for co-working space in your area and other incidental costs.
This position will be open until filled, however, there is a priority deadline of July 25th. They are aiming for this position to have a start date in mid-September 2022.
Send resume, 1-2 page cover letter, and link to your design portfolio and/or three to five relevant work examples to email@example.com by 11:59 pm on July 25, 2022.
Please respond to these questions in your cover letter:
- Why do you think you’d be a good fit for 18MR?
- What does communication design mean to you?
- What is most important when creating digital designs?
- What should a designer’s role be in social movements?
- Choose one piece from your portfolio that relates most to our work, explain why you chose it and describe your creative process.