Location: Brooklyn, NY (Hybrid)
Posted: January 2023
Type: Full-time, permanent
Pay: Salaried Exempt, $65,000–$90,000
SITU’s Research division is seeking a 3D Graphics Specialist who is interested in joining a team engaged in projects that cross design, technology, and human rights. The work, which can broadly be understood as Visual Investigations, involves applied research and innovation in advocacy, legal, and journalistic contexts across a range of issues–from combatting suppression of dissent to rendering visible environmental crime. Current work includes (but is not limited to) assembling and analyzing spatial evidence for international judicial organizations, developing tools for climate justice litigation and advocacy and protecting freedom of protest and assembly.
The candidate should be experienced with 3D modeling, rendering and motion graphics, managing 3D data across a range of formats, and visualizing complex spatial information. Experience with open source research and event reconstruction is a plus but not essential. Their collaborators and clients have included: The International Criminal Court, The United Nations, PBS Frontline, The Associated Press and Human Rights Watch, among others. By joining their team, they offer the opportunity to support creative, world-changing projects.
- Competency in 3D modeling and rendering software like Blender, Unity, Unreal, Rhino, or Cinema 4D, and an understanding of various rendering techniques and optimizations for large complex geometries
- Familiarity with After Effects, Premiere Pro and other motion graphics and video editing tools
- Competency in the visual design of diagrams, maps and 3D scenes
- Strong written and spoken communication skills, ability to document work with attention to detail and incorporate critical feedback
- Demonstrated research skills and experience collaborating on interdisciplinary teams
- Openness to explore, use and learn new methodologies, frameworks, and tools
- Familiarity with or interest in learning best practices via exposure to sensitive/graphic content
- Familiarity with or interest in learning best practices via design and accessibility work
Preferred additional qualifications
- Experience with GIS tools like QGIS, ArcGIS, Leaflet, Mapbox
- Experience with open source content discovery, archiving, and verification
- Experience with software development (command line interface tools, scripting, web development)
- A degree in a design-related field such as Architecture, Urban Planning, Computer Graphics, or equivalent working experience is recommended but SITU will consider applicants from other fields as well
SITU offers great benefits, reasonable working hours, and the opportunity to support creative, thoughtful projects in a shop / studio environment. Benefits include employer health (including two fully funded options), dental, vision, life, and long term disability insurance plans, One Medical membership, two weeks paid vacation, and other perks such as subsidized CitiBike memberships and highly reduced parking passes through the Brooklyn Navy Yard. After a year of work, you are eligible to contribute to a 401(k) plan through the business, and SITU will match your contributions, dollar for dollar, up to 4% of your annual pay. Compensation commensurate with experience.
An enthusiasm for technological innovation, creative problem solving, and applied interdisciplinary work is essential as is strong experience with design software. Experience with video/motion graphics and geospatial tools is preferred, in addition to the demonstrated ability to learn new tools and technologies on the job to meet project needs.
SITU Research’s practice touches social and political events from around the world. They are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace and beyond. They believe that having a diverse team (in terms of education, culture, ethnicity, race, class, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, languages spoken, religion, mental or physical disability, national origin, citizenship status), is not only the right thing to do, but that it leads to more principled, ethical, and rigorous work. They strongly encourage applications from people who have been historically underrepresented in the fields of human rights, design and architecture.
SITU Research is a visual investigations practice developing new forms of reporting to cut through digital noise and amplify truth. As an interdisciplinary team of architects, computer scientists, and researchers, they take a rigorous and comprehensive approach to synthesizing disparate forms of evidence in order to provide complete accounts of contested events. Whether in the form of interactive digital platforms or 3D site reconstructions, their visual tools allow victims and their advocates to access contextualized and reliable reports of what really happened. Select projects include Choking Dissent: How Tear Gas is Used to Crush Protestors (2020); The Crimes of ISIL against the Yazidi Community in Sinjar (2021); After the Strike (2021); The Trap, Mott Haven, Bronx (2020); and Cerro de Pasco, Peru (2020); ICC Digital Platform: Timbuktu, Mali (2016). These reports serve as an indispensable baseline for advocacy, litigation, journalism, and beyond.
Due to the nature of the work, the material and evidence they work with can be graphic, upsetting, and challenging. Their organization takes special care to address and work through personal and professional issues that may arise from repeated exposure to this content. To help foster an open and communicative environment, they also offer professional counseling sessions in both a group and 1:1 setting.
Please send your application materials to email@example.com with the subject line
‘3D Graphics Specialist – Research’
Include, as a single (1) PDF attachment:
● a cover letter telling them about yourself, what excites you about the opportunity, and what you can bring to the position
● your resume
● three (3) references
● a portfolio and / or 3 relevant work samples that will enrich their understanding of you and your experience.
No phone calls please. Note that this opportunity will close on January 30th, 2023.