ArtsPool, an administrative cooperative providing affordable nonprofit financial management, workforce administration, and compliance support, seeks a qualified individual to support a growing membership of nonprofit organizations. Startup meets social venture, the ArtsPool model is a unique, alternative solution to the lack of staffing capacity in nonprofits. ArtsPool is seeking a Financial Maintenance Lead to join their dedicated team. ArtsPool is currently a remote first workplace with an office in Fort Greene, Brooklyn.
To apply for this full-time position, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
ArtsPool is an equal opportunity employer. In the spirit of ArtsPool’s value of inclusion, we welcome and encourage submissions from BIPOC, LGBTQIA, and disabled candidates.
- ArtsPool values equity. They work to dismantle the systemic, structural inequities in their world and in the context of arts administration.
- ArtsPool values inclusion. They seek out a broad spectrum of identities, ideas, experiences, tools, and systems to improve their work and understanding.
- ArtsPool values sustainability. They create and improve their systems to support long-term health of their people and organization.
- ArtsPool values happiness. They work to create and maintain a working culture for staff and members that encourages joy, even amongst mundane details.
- ArtsPool values boldness. They take risks, accept challenges, and envision big ideas while following through on details.
- ArtsPool values flexibility. They are responsive to their members, staff, and environment.
- ArtsPool values personal responsibility to the group. They communicate and help each other, and always remember that they are a team.
- ArtsPool values proactive, designed, lived change. They hold themselves highly accountable to living and practicing the concept of change from which they began.
Your love of numbers and attention to detail is matched by a passion for helping nonprofits and artists to thrive. The ideal candidate will share ArtsPool’s values with respect to diversity, equity, and inclusion and be excited by working in an organization with a flat, non-hierarchical structure. You enjoy learning new systems and tools, and thinking critically about ways of making them better. You love the arts and understand administration and operations as central parts of making art happen. You are able to prioritize multiple projects and meet ongoing deadlines. You communicate clearly and patiently with clients and colleagues. You are detail-oriented, and have a sense of perspective and humor when things get real.
Financial Maintenance Responsibilities
Financial Maintenance services for ArtsPool’s members include the following:
- Using ArtsPool’s standard templates and practices, develop and maintain member organizational budgets, cash projections, and financial reports to member management, boards, and committees.
- Communicate regularly with members regarding their budgets by responding to questions and by holding regular budget meetings with the member, on a monthly or quarterly basis.
- Consult with members to work towards best practices and achieve improved financial health.
- Work collaboratively with Financial Operations Leads to maintain oversight of member books, including review of bookkeeping entries, maintaining the chart of accounts, making journal entries, performing cost allocations, and conducting balance sheet reconciliations.
- File annual and/or quarterly non-payroll taxes such as Sales Tax.
- Collaborate with Workforce Administration Leads to ensure financial accuracy of payroll processing.
- Provide financial information for members’ grant applications and reports.
- Maintain finance-related reporting portals, including US Census, Grants Gateway, SAM.gov, HHS Accelerator, etc.
- Work with independent auditors to complete members’ annual financial statements and tax returns.
- Participate in monthly systems analysis for building and improving ArtsPool infrastructure and service delivery.
A full-time workload is considered to be approximately seven member organizations (clients).
In connection with the duties above, a Financial Maintenance Lead will coordinate their work assignments and schedule with other members of their service delivery team. They will need to work closely with and clearly communicate financial information to member staff of varying degrees of financial literacy, and help all members to understand and take ownership of their budgets.
As ArtsPool workers and members of a cooperative, they share a set of responsibilities for keeping ArtsPool running smoothly and aligned with its values.
- Support ArtsPool’s values with respect to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and commit to working in an organization with a flat, non-hierarchical structure.
- Adapt to the ArtsPool standard for efficient, accurate service delivery.
- Serve on one to two internal operational teams.
- Serve as a Member Liaison for at least one member and manage standard compliance and relationship-management work.
- Provide training to member staff as needed on the systems and procedures.
- As a member of a non-hierarchical staff, provide peer support for fellow employees.
- Participate in regular service team huddles, operational team meetings, and all-staff events such as weekly stand-ups, retros, and monthly Open Swim sessions.
- Participate in peer-to-peer performance reviews.
- Lead and participate in semi-regular professional development sessions (lunch-and-learns, seminars, systems training, etc.) on a variety of topics; act as a resource for other staff in areas of particular expertise.
- Act as a back-up for other ArtsPool staffers as needed when they take time off, and prepare your work for other staffers to back you up when you take time off.
- Adhere to ArtsPool’s work processes and procedures including systems use, style guides, communications guide, document organization and retention, security policies, and other operational and corporate policies and procedures.
- Contribute to configuration, maintenance, and consistency of the technical systems used in your work.
- Contribute to the organizational decision-making process and the overall quality control of ArtsPool systems and physical facilities.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Facility with budget creation, maintenance, and reporting required
- Experience working within nonprofit and/or arts organizations preferred
- Ability to work with many types of members (clients) and personalities, ranging from small artist-run companies to mid-sized institutions
- Independent self-motivated problem solver who can make suggestions and work within a team to develop and implement system improvements
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Openness to and facility with web-based systems and software
- Comfort and experience with reading and maintaining spreadsheets
- Experience with Xero Accounting and Google Apps (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Calendar, Gmail, etc.) a plus