ArtsPool, an administrative cooperative providing affordable nonprofit financial management, workforce administration, and compliance support, seeks a qualified individual to support a growing membership of nonprofit organizations. Startup meets social venture, the ArtsPool model is a unique, alternative solution to the lack of staffing capacity in nonprofits. ArtsPool is seeking an Operations Lead to join their dedicated team. ArtsPool is currently a remote-first workplace with an office in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. The successful candidate for this position will need to be regularly based in the physical office, and must therefore be based within reasonable commuting distance of Brooklyn.
To apply for this full-time, permanent position, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
ArtsPool is an equal opportunity employer. In the spirit of ArtsPool’s value of inclusion, we welcome and encourage submissions from BIPOC, LGBTQIA, and disabled candidates.
ArtsPool values equity. They work to dismantle the systemic, structural inequities in their field and in the context of arts administration. They value inclusion, seeking out a broad spectrum of identities, ideas, experiences, tools, and systems to improve their work and their understanding. Sustainability allows us to create and improve their systems to support long-term health of their people and their organization. Happiness is a large part of their culture so they work to create and maintain a working culture for staff and members that encourages joy, even amongst mundane details. They value boldness by taking risks, accepting challenges, and envisioning big ideas while following through on details. Through flexibility, they are responsive to their members, themselves , and their environment. ArtsPool values personal responsibility to the group. They communicate and help each other, and always remember that they are a team. Their value of proactive, designed, lived change makes them hold ourselves highly accountable to living and practicing the concept of change from which they began.
Your love of logistics and problem-solving prowess is matched by a passion for supporting teams and helping nonprofits & artists thrive. The ideal candidate will share ArtsPool’s values with respect to diversity, equity and inclusion, and be excited by working in an organization with a flat, non-hierarchical structure, which requires group decision and frequent collaboration. You enjoy learning new systems and tools and thinking critically about ways of making them better. You love the arts and understand operations as central parts of making art happen. You are able to prioritize multiple projects and meet ongoing deadlines. You communicate clearly and patiently with clients and colleagues. You are detail-oriented and have a sense of perspective and humor when things get real.
The primary work focus for the Operations Lead is in the area of ArtsPool’s internal operations, including without limitation, the following:
Operations management and logistics
- Lead the Operations Team as a coordination point for all operational elements of ArtsPool’s work (communications, accountability/DEI, financial management, technology, member development, and onboarding).
- Prepare member contracts for review and signature, and facilitate the contracting process for new members, as well as amendments and/or terminations for existing members.
- Facilitate ArtsPool’s vendor selection process through Requests for Proposals and contracting, in collaboration with ArtsPool’s Operations Committee and in accordance with ArtsPool’s values, identifying partners in the field for increased quality control, efficiency, and systems.
- Coordinate with insurance brokers for renewals and review of coverage scope for ArtsPool’s corporate insurance policies and employee benefits.
- Research, develop, implement, and maintain employee benefits as requested by employees and approved by Governance Committees.
- Coordinate general office management tasks including without limitation: ordering supplies, checking the mail, coordination of cleaning and arrangement of physical space and virtual connection opportunities, managing leases, updating calendar with company holidays and other general events, and researching potential space move options and interim space management solutions.
- Maintain corporate files and registrations, including multi-state considerations for business operations and regulatory insurances.
- Conduct annual audit of physical security in coordination with the Technology Team’s security audit process.
- In fidelity to budget and cash flow planning, be the primary financial approver of bills, payroll, expenses, reimbursements, and bank reconciliations.
- Make check deposits and perform other general banking tasks.
Recruitment, training, & knowledge management
- Coordinate recruiting, including job postings, interview teams coordination, scheduling, and reference checks.
- Coordinate training and orientation of ArtsPool staff and members, checking in regularly with trainers and trainees for feedback to ensure quality control and iteratively improve training procedures.
- Maintain operational articles in ArtsPool’s Help Center.
- Facilitate resources, materials, and scheduling to ensure communications across staff teams, such as scheduling and agenda maintenance of monthly “Open Swim” and “Retro” events, plus hosting weekly stand-up meetings and presenting operational updates.
- May assist with logistics in onboarding of new members and/or project services, as determined by results of the current strategic business plan update.
Strategy, development, and issue resolution
- Facilitate and finalize annual updates of ArtsPool’s Business Plan, generally in partnership with the staff and Operations Committee, and in 2022 in partnership with AMS (strategy consultant) and Steering Committee, as part of strategic update to operational model.
- Facilitate and finalize annual updates of ArtsPool’s corporate policies and procedures, including ArtsPool’s Employee Handbook, with input from stakeholders and legal counsel.
- Ensure employee compliance with company policies and the Employee Handbook.
- Facilitate updates of ArtsPool’s services agreements and other corporate contracts, as required and desired, with input from legal counsel.
- Facilitate and follow up on escalations management and procedural questions in collaboration with the relevant stakeholders, in particular ArtsPool’s Accountable Communications working group and Membership Committee.
In connection to the duties above, the Operations Lead will coordinate their work assignments and schedule with ArtsPool’s Operations Team. They will work closely with and clearly communicate operational practices, benefits resources, and other necessary information to ArtsPool staff, occasionally interfacing with ArtsPool’s governance committees and full membership. Candidates for this position should note that ArtsPool is currently in the process of a strategic update to its business plan, and as such, some roles and responsibilities at ArtsPool are likely to shift as that project moves into implementation in the spring of 2022.
As ArtsPool workers and members of a cooperative, they share a set of responsibilities for keeping ArtsPool running smoothly and aligned with its values. Each worker is asked to participate in the operational activities of the organization:
- Support ArtsPool’s values with respect to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and commit to working in an organization with a flat, non-hierarchical structure.
- Support the ArtsPool standard for efficient, accurate service delivery.
- Serve on one to two internal operational teams.
- Provide training to staff as needed on systems and procedures.
- Participate as an Ally for other ArtsPool employees, or opt-out through the DEI/People team.
- Participate in regular, operational team meetings and all-staff events such as weekly stand-ups, retros, and monthly Open Swim sessions.
- Participate in peer-to-peer performance reviews.
- Lead and participate in semi-regular professional development sessions (lunch-and-learns, seminars, systems training, etc.) on a variety of topics; act as a resource for other staff in areas of particular expertise.
- Act as a back-up for other ArtsPool employees as needed when they take time off, and prepare your work for other employees to back you up when you take time off.
- Adhere to ArtsPool’s work processes and procedures including systems use, style guides, communications guides, document organization and retention, security policies, and other operational and corporate policies and procedures.
- Contribute to configuration, maintenance, and consistency of the technical systems used in your work.
- Contribute to the organizational decision-making process and the overall quality control of ArtsPool systems and physical facilities.
Requirements & qualifications
- Experience managing operations for organizations of 15 or more employees for at least two years.
- Experience with multi-state employee location considerations. including corporate registration and management of disparate regulatory requirements.
- Experience handling escalations; mediation training a plus.
- Proven ability to collaborate as a member of a team, build consensus, and follow through on deliverables.
- Strong project management skills and financial literacy.
- Human resources experience a plus.
Starting compensation for this full-time permanent position is $70,000.00, with health and dental benefits. ArtsPool also offers a 401(k) retirement plan and access to Commuter Benefits, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Account (DCA). The successful candidate will be eligible for a raise to ArtsPool’s secondary compensation level, after one year of employment, according to ArtsPool’s pay equity procedures. The approximate start date for this position is March 2022.