The Poetic Justice Group at MIT Media Lab is an art and social justice focused research group. Currently, they’re researching how art can address the scale of sociopolitical issues through producing artworks that are distributed, multisite, participatory and public. They’ve been developing a series of software-generated sound and video works composed of recordings from public audiences and archives that are remixed and live-streamed over the phone and online, 24/7. These works explore themes ranging from US Census and COVID-19 to Black music. Their works have been presented by contemporary art museums in the U.S. including CAM Houston and CAM St. Louis and featured by New York Times and NPR.
They’re looking for a Backend Developer to scale their existing processes and workflows for collecting and audio/video recordings, transcribing voice recordings in multiple languages, analyzing transcripts, and generating streams.
This can be a full-time role with benefits or freelance. They’re open to remote work but should be on the east coast, preferably in NYC or Boston areas.
- Develop interactive voice response (IVR) systems using Twilio and Vonage.
- Develop scalable systems to record, store and manage audio and video recordings
- Develop scalable systems to transcribe audio and video recordings in multiple languages and formats
- Develop scalable tools for narrative generation
- Develop dashboards and reports for user engagement and topic generation, content summarization
- Develop unit and integration tests
- Minimum of 3 years of web development/architecture experience
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with Python using Flask or Django
- Minimum 2 years of experience with third party APIs within Python web applications
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with modern DevOps tools, such as Git and GitHub
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with installation, configuration, and development including work within a production environment
- Experience with DevOps and Agile engineering practices
- Experience deploying systems into a production Cloud Native Environment with major cloud providers such as Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with NLP libraries such as Spacy, Hugging Face, and NLTK
- Experience with web application design and development using React or Angular
- Experience with voice application design and development using Twilio or Vonage
- Experience with Twitter and Slack bot development
Professional Skill Requirements:
- Ability to work creatively and analytically
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in both technical and non-technical language
- Ability to collaborate and pair-program effectively
- Ability to work independently
To apply, please email a short cover letter and resume: email@example.com, with the position title in the subject line. Open until filled.