Fractured Atlas is a national nonprofit art service organization with a membership of over 75,000. Their mission is to make the journey from inspiration to living practice more accessible and equitable for artists and creatives. They are dedicated to helping individual artists and arts organizations at every level of the cultural ecosystem, in every creative medium by providing fundraising tools, educational resources, and personalized support.
The Senior Director, Finance reports directly to the VP, Finance and People Operations.
The successful candidate will be someone who thrives in Fractured Atlasʹs ʺwork hard, live wellʺ environment. Our organizational culture embraces people who:
- Are curious and excited by opportunities to better their services, their systems, and themselves.
- Seek out challenging problems and are comfortable with high-risk, high-impact efforts.
- Are agile, creative problem solvers with a focus on concrete results.
- Invest their time in quality work and giving others their respect and support.
Additionally, at Fractured Atlas they adhere to strong anti-oppression and anti-racism principles in all areas of their internal and external work. This commitment is grounded in their belief that change is possible, and that their work and that of the artistic community as a whole will grow stronger as oppression is eliminated. Learn more about what it’s like to work at Fractured Atlas here.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Accounting and Compliance
- Ensure compliance with non-profit generally accepted accounting principles on all grant and other externally presented financial statements
- Maintain internal financial controls over accounting transactions to minimize risk
- Implement financial policies and procedures
- Reconcile the General Ledger and monitor cash flow and investments
- Approve accounts payable checks/wire payments for all accounts due
Budgeting and Reporting
- Lead the organizational budget process from creation through reforecasts
- Generate financial reporting component of grants portfolio, ensuring all grant awards are earned and received compliantly
- Partner with the External Relations and Programs departments on grants and contracts, reviewing asks, allocations and booking of awards
Communication and Connection
- Serve as the liaison for financial presentations to the Board of Directors
- Work with department heads to model accounting flow and financial impact for new initiatives
- Oversee and identify financial training needs across the organization
- Work with the rest of the Fractured Atlas team to further their mission and programs as opportunities arise
WHAT THEY’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Deep understanding of non-profit accounting and budgeting principles
- Life-long learner and excited to share knowledge with teammates and colleagues
- Capable of distilling complex financial/accounting concepts into clear narrative for diverse audiences including the Board of Directors, senior leadership, and cross-departmental teams.
- Can delegate work effectively, when appropriate, but has an action-oriented default and will move things forward independently
- Execute independent action through clear judgment with minimal supervision. Must be assertive and proactive in accomplishing set goals and objectives
- Strong interpersonal skills; Demonstrated ability to establish good working relationships with coworkers throughout the organization, even in a remote setting
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Proficient in accounting and financial management software (knowledge of Netsuite a plus)
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software, especially spreadsheets and presentations
- Seven years or more of related experience
This position is U.S.-based and 100% virtual (with post-COVID travel about 1-2 times per year). You can live anywhere in the country but must be available to attend meetings during a 9 AM-6 PM EST window.
This is a full-time exempt position. Salary is $110,500. Benefits include dental and medical insurance, flexible spending account, employer-contributed 401K plan, commuter benefits, professional development allowance, ticket and staff donation allowance for artist member projects, internet and cell-phone stipend allowance, workplace supplies allowance, unlimited paid vacation days and paid sick days, paid family leave, and a casual but hard-working, friendly and supportive work environment.
To be considered for the position, please use the application portal to upload all the items below in one PDF-formatted file:
- A substantive and original cover letter with why you want to work at Fractured Atlas and your available start date.
- Resume no longer than (1) page
- A list of (3) professional references complete with phone number, email address, and explanation of the relationship. (References will not be contacted without your prior consent.)
Incomplete submissions – including those failing to follow directions – will not be considered, nor will submissions sent via post mail or fax. No calls, emails, or social media messages, please.
Fractured Atlas is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. (Read more about their Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression commitment.) They do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.