Found Sound Nation is seeking a talented part-time Digital Media Specialist to join their staff and play a key role in furthering FSN’s mission to use music-making and creative collaboration to connect people across cultural and societal divides. This role will support the growth of our global audience through the creation of original media with artists around the globe, designed social media campaigns, and curated content from our global artists network.
The successful applicant will work closely with their team to: develop and produce an on-going series of musician-focused social media campaigns, shorts, playlists or features (depending on the platform); collaborate with our artists network to create and produce exciting and engaging new media; create, manage and execute a media calendar across all their operational social media platforms (details below); and help maintain and update content for their web properties. The Digital Media Specialist will also work with the team to develop strategies for producing interesting and dynamic work and audience engagement on existing and new social platforms. They will also assist their staff in the archival and management of various digital assets and media content, as well as tracking audience and artist engagement on their relevant platforms. The successful applicant will be a supportive member of FSN’s small and collaborative staff.
*As part of this role you may also take part in OneBeat programs, on location, assisting with production and social media on a program’s tour. Applicants who are willing to travel to in-person programs (various locations in the US), approximately 1-2 months (dates TBD) over the course of the year, are strongly encouraged.
Social Media (40%)
- Develop and produce an on-going series of musician-focused social media campaigns, shorts, playlists or features, depending on the platform
- Create, manage and execute a media calendar across all their operational social media platforms. Currently they operate most actively on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube, but also operate on Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Vimeo and Twitter
- Planning, copywriting, and posting social media content, in collaboration with team (when necessary), and engaging with alumni and fans on platforms (if necessary)
- Assist team with communications on social platforms – direct messages, enquiries etc
- Develop relationships with active / influential alumni or fans and other relevant communities across social platforms
- Research, evaluate latest trends, techniques, and technologies to find new and better ways of to engage our alumni, fans and audiences
- * Support OneBeat team during Program or Festival events by running a ‘live’ social media presence (when necessary/possible)
Digital Media Creation (30%)
- Collaborate with OneBeat and FSN artists to produce engaging digital media for social platforms; may also involve curating, sourcing and/or editing existing works.
- Develop strategies for producing more interesting work and better audience engagement on existing and new social platforms
- Assist the Media Diretor in the production of various OneBeat digital media (shorts, films, interviews, etc)
- Assistance with story-editing, transcriptions, and other logistics (eg timelines) to produce OneBeat/FSN media
- * Support OneBeat team during Program or Festival events by helping media production produce music videos, shorts, or interviews (when necessary/possible)
Web & Archival (30%)
- Create, maintain and update content for OneBeat and Found Sound Nation web properties, in collaboration with their team
- Helping catalog, tag and archive past and future program media both online (Youtube, Bandcamp, Vimeo) and offline (on our server)
- Source and collect advance photos, video, and any other relevant media from program artists, as well as other promotional material
- Assistance with the distribution of other occasional media communications (eg. newsletters)
- Monitor, analyze and report on performance on social media platforms (Google Analytics and Facebook insights
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following skills:
- Minimum 2+ years of related professional experience, developing digital media and social media management
- Passionate about using social and digital media to tell stories, entertain, teach/inform and connect people from different communities, disciplines and realities across the world.
- Creativity in and passion for storytelling, film, and design
- An eye for detail and care for the quality of your work
- Good communication skills with different audiences
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills.
- Knowledge of current social media trends, systems and targets and familiarity with marketing/communications via social media platforms
- Working or basic knowledge of the following programs: WordPress, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Photoshop, G-Suite Apps: Sheets, Docs, Forms etc
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and media campaigns independently, thoughtfully, and to completion
- Self-reliant, independent, and able to work as an effective member of a small team
- Comfort in a team-oriented and collaborative environment with open communication and inclusive decision-making
- Takes initiative and shows enthusiasm for developing and managing projects
- An ability to pick things up quickly, including new software or a new approach to solving a problem
- Flexibility within a changing work environment
- An ability to manage “up and across” to assist the whole team capacities
They recognize that a successful candidate will meet many of the requirements listed on this job description, but may not meet 100% of the qualifications. If much of this job description describes you, they encourage you to apply for this role.
Skills not required, but preferred:
- A completed bachelor’s degree; Masters degree in a related or adjacent field
- Curatorial experience
- Video editing skills: Premiere-Pro or other
- Audio editing skills: Ableton Live, Logic, ProTools
- Knowledge of global music trends and varied distribution platforms
- Experience with a project management tool like Asana
- Previous media archiving + cataloging experience
- Website content management
- A valid driver’s license
FSN’s work celebrates a diversity of voices coming together to make our communities stronger for the future. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds, genders, orientations, origins, ethnicities, family statuses, ages, and belief systems, and look forward to what your unique perspective will bring.
This job description may evolve over time and is subject to periodic updating. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.
Terms & Salary:
This is a part-time position (approximately 20 hours per/week) with occasional nighttime and weekend work. Depending on skill and experience level, the salary range is $25,000 – $35,000.
New York City based preferred. However regional (Eastern Time Zone) applicants will be considered. This position involves a hybrid work schedule with some of the year being remote working, some being in office (if living in NYC), and an expectation that you are able to travel during in-person programming periods; approximately 1- 2 months per year.
Submit your resume, social media portfolio (photography, videography, and/or design work) cover letter, and one writing sample (communications or marketing-related) by email to email@example.com, addressed to Kyla, with the subject line of “Media”. In your cover letter, please explain your interest and why you are a good fit for this position. Applications will be considered through March 31st 2022 or until the position is filled.
Found Sound Nation is an equal opportunity employer.