Found Sound Nation is seeking a full-time Programs Associate to join their staff and support FSN in the successful production of their on-going OneBeat exchange project, as well as the various operational aspects of this and other programs. The successful applicant will work closely with OneBeat’s Programs Director and the OneBeat Abroad Director to successfully implement and execute all aspects of FSN’s cultural exchange and diplomacy programming. They are a small team and this person will be an intrinsic part of the daily operations and connective tissue of the organization, ensuring all essential operational tasks are taken care of. It’s a role that balances creative vision and high-level organizational skills.
Over the course of the year you may be assisting with the recruitment and selection of artists for programs, planning virtual master classes, tracking expenses or updating project budgets. At other times, you may be on location, managing a OneBeat Festival tour, and assisting their production team on public events across the country. The role will also involve assisting with communication between FSN staff on location and in office, communicating with operational staff at their parent organization Bang on a Can, and communicating with artists during the planning and logistics period of their various programs.
*Applicants should be able and willing to travel to in-person programs (various locations in the US), approximately 1-2 months (dates TBD) over the course of the year.
Programming & Production (40%)
- Work with Program Directors to strategize and develop program plans
- Maintain FSN’s program and events calendar
- Manage the participant pipeline and communications for all projects and programs – this includes communications and planning with regards to travel & housing from various countries around the world
- Overseeing implementation and use of project management tools (Asana, Google Drive, etc.). Supporting the team in maintaining program timelines and the various deliverables associated with them.
- Assist the team with the curation and production of virtual events – both public and in-house
Bookkeeping & Operations (30%)
- Maintaining (and improving) systems for tracking project budgets within Google sheets and Quickbooks (or other budget-related software)
- Budget data entry – entering or updating items in Quickbooks and Google sheets
- Keeping detailed logs/files of expenses and receipts. Keeping track of contractor info: W9s and invoices etc;
- Collecting invoices and paying bills. Ensuring that invoice payments are received and paid in a timely manner
- Running budget reports; both internal and for grant reporting and evaluation purposes
- Organizing internal notes and documents and taking meeting minutes when necessary
- Providing general administrative and operational support to ensure FSN’s efficient operations
- Helping to manage communication between various FSN staff on location and in office
- Communicating with staff at their parent organization Bang on a Can when necessary
- Assisting in communicating with artists and applicants during the planning and logistics period of their various programs.
- Support the media and social media team when needed,
- Assisting with general FSN communications, including the website, social media, newsletters, reports, and more.
Fundraising & Other (10%)
- Collaborate with the FSN team and consultants on fundraising programs and annual appeals
- Supporting grant applications and including development of program strategies, budgets, and deliverables
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following skills:
- Minimum 2+ years of related professional experience, including project management
- Superior organizational skills and a passion for organization are a necessity for this role
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with different audiences
- Experience managing budgets or accounting systems
- Ability to manage projects independently, thoughtfully, and to completion
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Comfort in a team-oriented and collaborative environment with open communication and inclusive decision-making
- Strong analytic skills to assess and provide input on operations
- Takes initiative and shows enthusiasm for projects
- An ability to pick things up quickly, including new software or a new approach to solving a problem
- An eye for detail and care for the quality of your work: The ability to work systematically to achieve accuracy. The budgetary work inherent in this role really requires double and triple checking work.
- Excellent time management and problem-solving capacity
- Creativity, with examples of projects they have taken a lead on shaping
- Flexibility within a changing work environment
- An ability to manage “up and across” to assist the whole team capacities
- Commitment to social justice and passion for how artist-led projects can help build more just and equitable societies.
- Working knowledge of Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel, and Quickbooks
- Experience with a project management tool like Asana
Theye recognize that a successful candidate will meet many of the requirements listed on this job description, but may not meet 100% of the qualifications. If much of this job description describes you, we encourage you to apply for this role.
Skills not required, but preferred:
- A completed bachelor’s degree; Masters degree in a related field
- Experience managing budgets or accounting systems
- Curatorial experience
- Website content management
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Indesign
- Working knowledge of Quickbooks
- A valid driver’s license
FSN’s work celebrates a diversity of voices coming together to make their communities stronger for the future. They welcome applicants from all backgrounds, genders, orientations, origins, ethnicities, family statuses, ages, and belief systems, and look forward to what your unique perspective will bring.
This job description is intended to be general and may evolve over time. The description is subject to periodic updating. At management’s discretion, the employee may be assigned different or additional duties from time to time.
Terms & Salary:
This is a full-time exempt position. Depending on skill and experience level, the salary range is $50,000 – $65,000 per year.
New York City based preferred. However regional (Eastern Time Zone) applicants will be considered. This position involves a hybrid work schedule with some of the year being remote working, some being in office (if living in NYC), and an expectation that you are able to travel during in-person programming periods; approximately 1- 2 months per year.
Submit your resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com, addressed to Kyla, with the subject line of “Programs Associate Position”. In your cover letter, please explain your interest and why you are a good fit for this position. Applications will be considered through March 31st 2022 or until the position is filled.
Found Sound Nation is an equal opportunity employer.