18MR’s internship program is designed to provide practical experience in movement building, digital organizing, and creative media. As a member of the team, they will learn how to plan, build, and execute beautiful, compelling, and effective campaigns and experiences for 18MR members to learn about and take meaningful collective action on the issues that matter to them. 18MR interns have a healthy curiosity and capacity to engage with people from across various social movement sectors.
The Communication Design Intern will be supervised by the Director of Design and Product and collaborate closely with their Social Media Manager and Organizing team.
Assist Design & Production
Follow 18MR brand guide to format graphics for social media content, campaign emails, website assets, and additional internal / external materials. Create moodboards, image curation, etc.
Collaborate with the 18MR staff to bring campaigns to life and support needs in their day-to-day campaigns and projects. Attend brainstorm sessions and communication/design meetings.
18MR believes that internships should be a valuable experience that provides access to helpful training and skills. During their time at 18MR their goal is for their interns to gain experience in:
- Executing a digital campaign from start to finish
- Training in strategic visual messaging, content concepts, and planning
- Articulating conceptual and directional choices to staff
- Working with remote colleagues
- Using strategic insights from concept to completion
- Building a foundational understanding of social justice movements and digital organizing
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS
- Proficiency with key software tools (Adobe Creative Suite, Google Suite, etc)
- Create assets through Adobe Creative Suite apps such as Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign and Premiere
- A broad knowledge of design practices, creative influencers, and emerging cultural trends and technology influenced behaviors.
- Confidence advocating for ideas or projects on a collaborative team.
- Ability to self-direct, but also adapt to changing conditions with graciousness and good humor.
- Confidence working with a diverse team and the capacity to approach conflict with compassion
- Exceptional visual, written, and verbal communication skills.
- An understanding of Asian American social movements historically and in the current moment.
- Independent worker with initiative and the ability to work remotely.
- Self-motivated, high attention to detail and the ability to deliver high quality work.
- Understanding of digital context (technology, platform structures, design, media, behavior).
Communication Design intern will be provided with a $4,800 stipend for the 4 month program. Internship will be a completely remote position.
Send resume, 1-2 page cover letter, 1-2 page cover letter, and link to your design portfolio and/or three to five relevant work examples to email@example.com by March 2, 2022.
Please respond to these two questions in your cover letter:
- Why do you think you’d be a good fit for 18MR?
- Choose one piece from your portfolio and describe your creative process, thoughts, ideas and a point of view about your work.